21 December 2012

Let it Shine!

Anyone who knows me, knows that I cry a lot.  There are lots of tears of joy (I'm happy to add) and those due to overwhelming, sweet gestures or sentiment.  Just about every episode of "Modern Family" does it to me, too, you must simply ask my daughter how embarrasing that is!

Somehow, though, in the tremendous sadness and horror of last's weeks events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, tears just didn't come.  I refused to even allow myself to glance at the televised images, instead carefully scanning The New York Times for updates, but never dwelling too long.  It was truly more than my being could manage.

Then today, as I waited in line for my coffee, en route to the Winter Festival at my daughter's school, I read Wayne LaPierrer's comments about how we should provide armed guards at all of our children's schools, as a manner of keeping them safe.  Likening our children to banks & Tiffany windows.  Never once questioning whether there should be the guns in the first place.  Having a gun, and many of them, certainly didn't help Adam Lanza's mother, I must add.

I was taken aback by what seemed an absolute refusal to see any connection between the horrible ambush at Sandy Hook and our openly lax gun laws.  But still no tears, only unbelievable outrage that this is the 'big idea' that will ensure my child's, and all children's, safety--not to mention the safety of the rest of our community.

Later, as I sat and watched the final act of my daughter's Winter Festival--the darling kindergarten class (6 year olds, mind you) sang, "This Little Light of Mine".  And then, the week's grief was unleashed--tears came and came and didn't stop.  I cried for the 20 beautiful souls that weren't able to sing at their Winter Festival; and for the families that will never see their gorgeous, spirited children again.  I cried for the parents who had to imagine what their child's final moment was like--the terror of it all.  I cried for the teachers, who so bravely gave their own lives to protect the sweet, little school children who were hiding in cabinets and closets and in other unimaginable places.

Our wonderful Head of School reminded all of us that "This Little Light of Mine" was borne out of the Civil Rights Movement, when people had to push against huge barriers to overcome injustice, and not lose faith, even when situations seemed utterly bleak.

What better song to sing, to remember those that we lost, and to help remind us to battle against this huge barrier, to push for reason & safety.  And to not stop pushing until we get it.

Ironic, that this all happened on the shortest, darkest day of the year--the Winter Solstice.  I'm hopeful, that as the days lengthen & the sun shines longer, that these little lights will shine & lead the way for us all.

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine...in their honor.

- Charlotte Bacon
- Daniel Barden
- Rachel Davino
- Olivia Engel
- Josephine Gay
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene
- Dylan Hockley
- Dawn Hochsprung
- Madeleine F. Hsu
- Catherine V. Hubbard
- Chase Kowalski
- Jesse Lewis
- James Mattioli
- Grace McDonnell
- Anne Marie Murphy
- Emilie Parker
- Jack Pinto
- Noah Pozner
- Caroline Previdi
- Jessica Rekos
- Avielle Richman
- Lauren Rousseau
- Mary Sherlach
- Victoria Soto
- Benjamin Wheeler
- Allison N. Wyatt

1 comment:

you might like this...